Saturday, October 31, 2009

How can you tell anxiety from the stomach flu?

Tonight I ate 2 big bowls of red beans for the first time in a long time. I am currently on lexapro for an anxiety disorder, so I'm usually really bloated after eating anyways. Tonight, though, about an hour and a half after I ate the beans, I got really bloated and then when I had a bowel movement, it was hard at first, then diarrhea like, and then I couldn't go at all and just had gas. Now, i'm in a massive state of panic and am keeping myself worked up. I am a complete hypochondriac, so every little ache freaks me out. Do I have anything to worry about or was it the beans that made me temporarily messed up. I can't sleep because I'm freaking myself out so bad. Please answer my question and help me. Thank you.
Answer:
Here is something you can do. Sit in a comfortable chair in a quiet room. Notice your breath. Inhale into your belly and exhale slowly. Soften the muscles in your face. Let your fingers curl into your palms. Keep breathing into your belly. On the 10th inhale, hold your breath in for 2 counts, and exhale for 4 counts. If your stomach still hurts, you have indegestion and it isn't just anxiety.

To help you sleep, lay on your back and put a pillow or two under your knees. Make sure your feet are warm by putting on socks, it's impossible to fall asleep with cold feet. Keep breathing deeply. You can't get the flu from beans, at least we know that! Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net