Sunday, October 25, 2009

How can I prevent my eyes from becoming worse when I have to sit in front of a computer all day?

Anything more than 5 feet away is slightly blurred, so I have to wear contacts or glasses. It's not so bad that I can't see where I'm going, but I'd like to stop them from getting to that point. What are some things I can do to keep my eyes from getting worse?
Answer:
make sure your monitor is not set to 60hz (unless its LCD then that doesn't matter, LCD's don't flicker). But CRTs (cathode ray tube) do flicker. I can see the flicker at 60hz, real bad. So it drives me crazy and gives me headaches and makes my eyes hurt. so I set mine to 75hz usually.

Go to control panel, display, settings, advanced, monitor. (you may need to adjust your screen width and height on your monitor after changing this setting).

Off of 60Hz makes the screen looks clearer to most people. But what it is is less eye strain, your pupils are trying to compensate 60 times per second when its set to 60hertz though you may not notice, your eyes most likely do.

Also do exercises with your eyes look at something far away then something close. I even do this if I am at a store, I pay attention to how long it takes for my eyes to focus. I do it more often till I can focus quicker. I have worked everyday with computers for 11 years and my eyes have not changed at all, but I have never needed glasses or contacts.
i dont know what will make them better but you should take a 10 min break every hour...just dont look at the comp for that 10 mins...
Unfortunately computers are the main problem for bad eyesight. I've spent my life, well 18 years, infront of one doing homework, chatting, never more than a few hours, but as soon as I got one in my room I noticed my eyes getting worse and worse. Some people I know who work with computers in their job experienced massive eye problems and as soon as they quit their eyes were still bad but they have never gotten worse.

The best thing to do is go to your optician and see what they suggest. As you say you wear glasses, make sure to always wear them infront of the screen.

However, wearing glasses actually does gradually improve your eyesight whereas lenses don't do anything. Like you, I am blind!! I'd rather wear contacts than glasses though so for me there is no hope for good eyesight!
You're lucky. 5 feet? I 'wish' I could see clearly that far. I am only able to see 16 cm and after that everything's blurry. :( But I suggest constantly looking farther away a few times every hour (such as across the office and what not) so your eyes can adjust to farther away as well.

Eat healthy like veggies etc and exercise? *shrug*
As an eye exercise, look away from your computer, like a distant wall, window, anything so that your eyes aren't so focused. Do this as often as possible, I work in a call center so I have to do this or I go nuts. Or, get a small fish tank and place it at least 3 to 4 feet away and watch the fish (if you face a wall) This will help reduce eye strain. Also, at home or outside of work, avoid reading, or being at the computer really late at night (unlike me Lol). I too, had to eventually wear glasses at night to read street signs after just 4 months all day on the computer. You won't go blind, it's just severe eye strain. If you were to take a month off of work, your vision would return to its original visual acuity.
- More Breaks.
- Sleep Earlier.
- Avoid long air-conditioning exposure.
Well, don't sit in front of the computer hours straight. Take a break every 15 to 20 minutes. Do the eye gymnastics : look close at your fingers and look as far as you can (at the window). Do this 5 times. Then look left to right and up to down - move your eyes like that with your eyes open and closed. That should work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net