Sunday, October 25, 2009

How can i stop myself from collapsing while on the London Underground?

yesterday, i was really close to collapsing while travelling on the Underground, i was just on the edge of being conscieous. there were a lot of people around, it was real hot, although i was standing right next to the door.
i was lucky this time since my mate managed to get me off the train just in time, but i'm really scared in case it happens again and if i'm by myself. i go on the Underground quite often, so what should i do to stop this from happening again?
Answer:
I am the same on the Underground. It's claustrophobia and you're experiencing a panic attack, feeling faint and hot - I used to get these whenever I went to a gig too.

I believe it's about realising that it IS all in your mind, you ARE going to be all right, NOTHING is going to happen to you. But rational thinking in that sort of situation isn't easy!

How about breaking up your journey so that you know you're not going to be on the tube for very long each time? This might be impractical if you're travelling to work or whatever it might mean that you need to allow more time for your journey, but psychologically this could help. Buses are another option, but not ideal if you need to be somewhere by a certain time...

Personally I now take beta-blockers for anxiety and they really do help in situations like this. It's very rare now that I get a panic attack. But you may not want to go down that route.

Bach's Flower Remedies are apparently effective for some people in relation to anxiety - have you tried this?

Alternatively, you may need to get some therapy just to help the way you think in these situations. It's a phobia. Believe me, you're not alone!

Edit: feeling like your legs are gonna collapse under you is part of the faintness feeling which you get when you're having a panic attack. Hearing and sight is also affected - I used to get a ringing sound in my ears when I felt I was going to collapse. Been there so many times..
are you claustrophobic?
are you afraid of the confinement and crowd, or is it the fumes?
get the bus
Sounds like a panic attack. Did you feel like you couldn't breathe?

Run a google search for anxiety/panic attacks for ways to cope. Just remember that it is impossible to actually die, or even pass out, with a panic attack - it just feels awful when it's happening.

Good luck - I hate travelling on the tube for just this reason.
Stay near the door if you can and as soon as you start to feel bad, get off and wait until you're better. Don't wait until it's too late. Otherwise I'm afraid there is no way to stop it, other than avoiding travelling on the hellhole trains until they find some way of installing aircon. LU recommend that you carry water with you, like that's going to help if you're feeling faint.
Keep of the underground.
go and see your GP hunny. sounds like you had a panic attack. although its not surprising your nervous after the things that have happened in London recently. i had my first ever panic attack in MacDonald's of all places and went through exactly what you experienced. don't feel embarrassed to tell your GP,panic attacks are horrid and very scary. do hope you get things sorted. all the best to you xxx
I would suggest you went to see a Thought Field Therapist (TFT) have a look at the following website to get a good one www.atft.org.
They would help you conquer the emotional distress you had and help you with any future panic attacks.
Give it a go, its really cool and works brilliantly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net