Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How do I get over a fear of syringes?

When I have to have blood taken or get a shot I can make myself do it. Blood is the worst because you just have to sit there with the thing sticking in you... Irks me so badly that I laugh hysterically like a maniac before it happens and while its happening... and then a few minutes after its all done I will faint. I want to get over this.
Answer:
I just had to go all the time when I was young, I suggest not paying attention to it, close you eyes, talk to the docter (nurse) imagine things (whatever you like) think on a problem you have (homework, essay, story you can't get any further due to writers block x)) and also..know that it is only a prick and you can't get anything besides a tiny amount of pain, no matter what. I had a bad cut (don't ask) and had like.a lot. yes. a lot of shots to get all of my knee prepped up for the rest of the day x) It is only a prick, and if you just look at it, you should notice that..it isn't that bad! The worst is not bad at all, I could think of several more painful or akward things (or both)

If it is a phobia, mihgt be difficult to deal with, sounds pretty severe..but remember that you are not subject to what you fear, you can overcome it, fear comes from in you, not from the item you fear. Turn the fear off. Not easy. But do-able.
I wish you luck, and remember, the fear comes from in YOU, not it.
Conquor it!
Reft =D
It helps not to get into heavy anxiety before you have an injection or blood drawn. It also helps not to watch the needle go in. Put your mind on something pleasurable and don't think about the short procedure.
I had a slight fear of needles when I went to give blood the first time. However I didn't bother looking when they put it in and I was fine. What you can do is not look at it and the person taking your blood will tell you when it's over. That's what I do and now I'm perfectly fine with needles as long as the person taking my blood is a professional.
I can't tell you how as I am terrified of them as I was as far back as I can remember. I just take a deep breathe and don't look when they do it.
I never have fainted though.
It's a common fear. You could meditate prior to your visit. Or use visualization. That where you sit with your eyes close and try to picture the needle penetrating your skin. Then you take a deep breath and let it out slowly telling your self "see that didn't hurt". Do this over and over again and again. When you are sure it's working. the next step is to try and feel the pick when you get a needle. And tell your self how silly it was to be afraid of a little pick like that. The third is to watch as they put the needle in and keep reminding your self that this is natural and people have it done every day without fear.
It will probly take you a course of several years to get to this point. But it is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net