Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How do I decrease the amount of mucus in the back of my throat?

I have trouble singing because all the mucus in the back of my throat. How can I get rid of mucus either in general and/or right before I have to sing?
Answer:
You can gargle with salt water for a quick fix. Also, sinuses and allergies can be a major contributor to post nasal drip. Get some over-the-counter medication to help your allergies or sinus drainage, and that could significantly get rid of the source of the problem.
Stop smoking...oh and warm salt water before a show
try antihistamines
Try drinking hot tea. It works for me.
Avoid milk, and try a hot drink, like tea. Or coffee, no sugar or milk
Drink / gulp water.
I get "muck throat" every morning and I take large gulps of water and I drink lots.
Hock a lugie b4 each show, and drink hot tea b4hand. It can b annoying, but it'll help. Candies work really well, but nothing honey or lemon, that'll make it worse!
You sound like you have what is called post nasal drip.
It can be helped with a decongestant.
You can get these at any drugstore.
Robitussin and other syrups or pills are available.
Make sure the label reads decongestant.
You need to wash your sinuses with salt solution...buy a nedi pot (washes sinuses).they showed this on a Oprah show when Dr. Oz was on.
Try a little bit of hot honey lemon water. One site I read recommended a mix of baking soda and water (because too much lemon can dry your throat.) Make sure to avoid dairy products before singing. They often cause you to produce more mucus. Make sure to drink plenty of water- you don't want to be too dry either. Stay healthy, too! A cold isn't going to help the situation. Good sleep, eating well, etc can go a long way.
I have a lot of trouble with my throat also. Finally after going to an E.N.T. I was told I have Acid Reflux. I was given medicine, and told to change my diet. Reduce spicy foods, oranges, tomatoes, and fried foods. (basically everything I like). I will do this and see if it works. Hope I helped you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net